Wednesday, September 5, 2018

Canwalks - 3D printed sci-fi terrain system


Onto some cool scifi terrain.
I found these files on Thingiverse and gave them a go. The original designs are credited to Prometheum Forge which makes MDF terrain, and then some 3D printed equivalents were uploaded. Liking this a lot, because the prints used little filament and were fairly quick to do, I started to design some of my own walkways and platforms to go along with them, so I can get a table full of Necromunda/forgeword/factory scifi terrain.
First I designed these little catwalks to connect the can-tanks. They are meant to reach the height to the tops of the tanks that lay on their sides, and are about 50mm wide to give players plenty of room for minis. 25/32/40mm bases should fit comfortably on them.
Next I made some platforms with ladders for more features. The idea is to get these to stack high, making the Necromunda type effect, but I am struggling with that concept right now. Needs further tinkering with the files.
I tried making a big quad-vertical tank system that could stack, but this patter was fairly finicky. I may need to alter the patterns further.
Here is all of it put together for a view of what I have so far. More to come of course. This type of terrain favors skirmish gaming over the mass battles, but I think without the catwalks it could be versatile.
I am still working on the file designs at the moment, but when I think I have them down pretty good, I will upload them to my account on Thingiverse.

That's still not all I have been doing with my printer, the big project I have been printing is an entire AoS army. That's right, I have printed a whole army. And I will get some more into that in a later post. Here's a preview image:

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. And you can bet more will be added to it. 3D printing has opened up a whole new window in terrain for the tabletop.

      Delete
  2. Great stuff!! I was looking for something like this. Are your files available anywhere?

    ReplyDelete