Friday, January 26, 2018

The Void Corsairs - Introduction

I am not done with the Drukhari. Verminlord Skrax was the first part. The first part to my Exiles of Commorragh. Drukhari that are not allowed to return to the Dark City. Both either deemed too weird, or heinous traitors, even for the dark kin.

This next army are the Kabal of the Void Corsairs. A pirate fleet that have no base of operation or place to call their home, except the cold empty void. They still traverse the webway, but are careful in doing so to avoid running in to their Commorrite brethren, or Craftworld cousins.

So these are what I have built so far for them, but there's more to come, like the vehicles, which I am really excited about.
They are lead by the Fleetmaster, Karrik. A brutal unflinching humorless Archon who is haunted by visions of a kraken. It's not of any creature he knows of in the galaxy. It permeates his every dream. What he knows for certain, or at least he believes he knows, that kraken will be his demise. The day he meets the creature, is the day of his death. Until then, every encounter he survives.

The model itself is based on the GW Fleetmaster model with a blast pistol. I loved the blade peg leg of the model, and the dragonscale cloak which you will see is a common theme among my Corsairs. His head is from the now discontinued old Lokhir Felheart model, fortunately I was able to get a hold of finecast version.
The kabalite warriors form the main crew of his fleet. They are made primarily from the Black Ark Corsairs kits, mixed with Kabalite Warrior arms, weapons, and heads. The special weapon models have heads from Reavers. I really like the poses of these models, it shows them in constant motion. There will be more of these guys coming as I get more corsair kits.
I have a single unit of wyches. They are pretty much made from whatever spare bits I have put together from the various Drukhari kits I have bought so far. The top 3 will be painted up to look like their gauntlets are on fire, trailing flames. These count as hydra gauntlets. I used some bits from the Witch Aelves. I like their small shields and am using them as their hekatarii blades. The helmets also add a really cool look to the unit.
I absolutely love Hellions. Such a cool kit. I bought some a while ago and with the addition of the Gangs of Commorragh box this Christmas, I had to add them all to my army. I will use any excuse I can to add all these guys to my army. I think they have so much potential for RADICAL posing and SICK moves. The more dynamic poses are helped with some of the crew bits from the Raider and Venom kits. The Helliarch on the top (3rd from left) is from the Scourgerunner Chariot kit. Each Hellion has a breastplate from the Black Ark Corsairs kits. There are 3 more of these coming, I just need more breastplates.

I have more coming for this army, but in due time.

13 comments:

  1. They look superbly different! Very cool Davy Jones! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, man. I would be lying if I said the Pirates of the Caribbean movies had no influence on this. I do love krakens a lot, and I wanted to make a space pirate army, with more emphasis on the pirate part. I have been plans for the vehicles.

      Delete
  2. Those are spectacular builds! A ton of atmosphere and character all around - I look forward to seeing more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the reaver heads on the warriors, you get such a threatening vibe from then. Shame those heads are so hard to get hold of from spares sites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A few of them are actually from the pilot of the Venom kit. But the rest of the heads are indeed from Reavers. But I got those Reavers from Gangs of Commorragh. Such an excellent deal for the minis. I will probably end up using kabalite heads on the Reavers now.

      Delete
  4. I really love the theme of this army! I've been eyeing making a similar conversion myself. Where did you get the Lokhir head?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks man. I ebay'd the lokhir model, and cut off his head, luckily it was finecast.

      Delete
    2. I looked so I could try to do the same before I even saw this (I actually found this blog from googling for Lohkir models to buy) but the only ones available are metal :/

      Delete
    3. I think I had to broaden my search to include china, which means it's very likely it was a recast, which is fine with me, frankly in this situation.

      Delete
    4. I honestly don't know how to broaden my search to include China (and am perfectly happy with a recast), how would one co about doing that?

      Delete
    5. Sorry, I don't know how to help you. It's been so long since I bought it.

      Delete
    6. Darn, Well couldn't blame me for hoping xD

      Delete