Thursday, October 5, 2017

Realms of Glory Campaign - Alpha

Here is an alpha build of a campaign system I wrote for Age of Sigmar. My brother and I are planning on doing a short narrative campaign. So I mocked this up last night and today.


It is a short campaign system (4 games long) that uses the General's Handbook matched play rules, Open War cards to set up the campaign tree, and Path to Glory for the rewards tables to progress the story of your army.

Basically it started when I saw the Open War cards used to make a tree campaign from the General's Handbook. After picking them up at the Harvester of Souls, my brother and I played 2 games with them. The games were really good fun. They can be easily used with matched play rules and create some interesting scenarios.

We got excited to try the tree campaign idea, but with some added bonuses. Bring on the Path to Glory campaign book. I will be honest I never tried Path to Glory, nor do I ever want to. The biggest problem with campaigning I found is an effect called snowballing. It is where one player gains an early boost from luck or playing well, and the advantage helps to compound as the game goes along, creating a clear winner early that becomes harder and harder to stop. Hence snowballing. Path to Glory is very guilty of this. There are ways to curb snowballing I have found, and one of them is a points limit on all games.

Anyway, never wanting to try Path to Glory, I do like the Rewards tables because they are useful and flavorful for upgrades and things like XP rewards you may find in other games.

So we got 3 parts culminating into Realms of Glory: Path to Glory rewards tables, Open War cards for a campaign Tree, and the General's Handbook for matched play rules. We are excited to try this out, then I will likely come back and edit the document until I get some semblance of readability.

Let me know what you guys think!

No comments:

Post a Comment