Friday, October 13, 2017

Tempest's Eye Rangers - Freeguild Handgunners

I came across a cool piece of artwork along my adventures in the internet.
Credit to Blazbaros. Careful, some of his work is NSFW
Any AoS player would think that this is some cool AoS fan-art. I mean, that is clearly a Freeguild Handgunner with a Kharadron Arkanaut. However it is not. Some guy commissioned him to do some D&D characters, but that did not get me to stop thinking about this image in AoS context. I really liked the look of the human character.

So I wanted creates something inspired by him in a way. Using some super MS Paint skills, I made a mock-up:
Sometimes this is what you need to do in order to get an idea going for a conversion. First is the body and legs. These are from the Shadow Warriors kit. I like the look of the cloak, tunic, and even legs. I especially like the cloak that comes up in front of the heads. Next are the arms and guns. These are from the Grundstok Thunderers kit. They are held aloft in a way like a heavy weapon, so I knew I was going to have to do some arm and hand reposing, to make them look like they are held like normal rifles. I wasn't sure what to use for a head, but once by chance I tried on the Warrior Priest head image, I fell in love. This screaming bald devotee just screamed veteran to me. I had an easy 2 components from what to order for parts: legs+torso, and arms+guns. But the heads would be a little more difficult. I wasn't going to buy 10 of the warrior priests and cut off their metal heads, so I looked to 3rd party.

Luckily I found Mad Robot Miniatures. They make bits mostly for 28mm heroic scale human miniatures. A lot of stuff for making your own Astra Militarum regiments (for those of you excited about their new Codex!). I like the choice of heads they had, and as a bonus, they are based here in the US! Most 3rd party bits makers are UK or EU based, which makes shipping troublesome.
I settled on the bald heads and the bandaged heads. The latter especially excited me because that would help to convey battle hardened veterans. Ordering those 2 sets got me 10 heads. Perfect.

Gathering the parts I need, and some greenstuff and cutting, I made them. My Tempest's Eye Rangers (counts as Freeguild Handgunners).
Banner on the left will be painted with the Tempest's Eye symbol from the latest Firestorm supplement, and the Marksman in the center has the long rifle. The barrel bit is actually from a can of air that you use for cleaning things like computer insides. I didn't have any plasticard tubing the right size.
A closer view of some of the conversion. The hands and arms were twisted and applied to do more of a rifle pose. I also removed the cables and the large trigger mechanism to slim them down.
Comparison to the original Grundstok Thunderers kit holding the gun.
I really don't plan on making a Free Peoples army, I just wanted a human unit to sometimes accompany a mixed Order army. I chose them to be from the Tempest's Eye free city, because I like the lore I read about it, and I can have the benefits with my Stormcast Eternals, and Dispossessed, and Ironweld Arsenal. That covers everything I already have for Order, so bonus. As for the painting color, I do like the original art I posted above, so I am going to try a deep yellow with some silver. More of an Averland Sunset yellow instead of a Flash Gitz yellow.

I do want to expand on these guys a little bit by making a hero that will accompany them. I do have a Excelsior Warpriest sprue lying around, and I think I can convert him to be a Freeguild General that leads the Rangers. More on that soon.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like these guys so much! They have a real "been there, done that" feel about them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the idea with them. I wanted some grizzled veterans that are meant to live day to day outside of the safety and comforts of the Tempest's Eye city.

      Delete