Friday, April 1, 2016

Gamer A.D.D. - Deadzone Forgefathers

 I backed the Deadzone: Infestation kickstarter because it was one of those games where the more I read about it, the more I like it. But due to funds at the time, I only backed for the books, a few accessories, and the 2 models I need for my Dark Eldar army.

Well I recently got my digital copies of the rulebooks and after reading through them, I am really stoked about playing. It's a simple small skirmish wargame with an attractive campaign system.

While Mantic sometimes gets a bad rap for ripping Warhammer 40,000, there is enough uniqueness to the setting here to make it very attractive. Namely it has SPACE DWARVES!

So naturally that is going to be my faction of choice if I am to play. I bought a starter kit off of ebay for a good price and built it up, as a distraction to my other projects going on right now.
The kit came with 5 brokkrs. Which are the merchants of the forgefathers. I converted them around to make 3 troop brokkr, an engineer to handle the mining laser (not pictured) and make my own Brokkr chief leader. I definitely feel that dwarves (even space dwarves) should have long flowing beards, so I have mixed in some Warhammer dwarf bits in there. I replaced the brokkr hammers with axes, gave them Longbeard heads, and the leader is holding the tome from the Runelord kit. These guys will be the relic hunters. Archaeologists on the search for relics and ancient history (hence the book). They are lead by Hrindir the Seeker out in front.
The Forge Guard are elite impenetrable heavy troopers. I made sure to put some dwarf banner bits on the models with special weapons to denote their standing in the army. The model on the left has a magma cannon, where I replaced its muzzle with an Irondrake gun barrel.
This is Throngnir the Oathbound, the leader of my force in the deadzones. A Forge Guard Huscarl is an extremely resilient badass model. I wanted something to denote that so I figured a long flowing cape would do it. It's a leftover from a Lord-celestant on Dracoth conversion I have planned later.
Mantic will be shipping out the physical rulebooks and Kickstarter rewards sometime this month, and their webstore will be featuring the full range in May (including more Forgefathers I am salivating over). In the meantime, if you want to see this game in action and learn to play, check out these youtube channels: Familyofgamers777 and especially DreadPathZone.

No comments:

Post a Comment