Monday, July 11, 2016

Commission - Ork Lootas and Painting Guide

The last part of the commission for my brother is complete. The lootas. Also to help him out, I am providing somewhat of a simple painting guide to help him out in doing the rest of his army. I kept the painting using simple quick techniques for speed and ease.
First you start off by priming grey. I used the Rustoleum gray primer I reviewed here.
Next I did Agrax Earthsade over the entire model. Everywhere. This creates a pre-shade, because we are mostly going to paint with washes.
Next I drybrushed Leadbelcher on all the metal parts. The combination of the gray primer, and brown shade makes for a dulled dirty metal look.
Next I applied Biel-tan Green on all the ork skin. Be careful not to get the wash anywhere else but the skin, as it is hard to cover up a wash color with other washes. Don't worry about getting it on claws and teeth, as those will be painted with actual paints.
Next I wanted to paint the cloth and any gloves. I was sure to avoid any leather and pants. The cloth I did a red, which was some Carroburg Crimson was mixed with a drop of Mephiston Red. This makes the wash a lot more opaque while keeping its good wash property of pooling in recesses. Then I did the same on the boots, but it was a mix of Nuln Oil with a drop of Abaddon Black. Also I did just plain Nuln Oil on the recessed metal parts, and sort of messy in various spots. I didn't want to cover the rusty look from the Agrax Earthshade, and you want the black oily look uneven to sell the look of orks. This is what's great about orks, you can afford to be a little sloppy.
Now we applied a simple layer of the signature Tau sept blue and tan. The colors used here are Karak Stone and Caledor Sky. I wasn't too thoorough with this because I didnt want to get paint on unwanted parts (again it's hard to cover paints with washes) and this is metal and material that has been scraped to heck through rough ork treatment and hammering.
Now we are going to do a chipping and scraping on the tan and blue paint. I used as crappy brush and a spackling technique to paint Mournfang Brown on the edges of the bits (pretty much anywhere parts scrape and rub against each other or other survaces mostly). On larger stuff you would do the same but using a sponging. This is the base rust of the chipping.
Now I used the same spackling technique to apply Leadbelcher on all the spots with the brown, but keep it within the brown trying not to cover it up too much. This shows the paint completely chipped off. I didn't show it next, but I also went back over the new metal and painted bits sporadically with Agrax Earthshade again to put a dirty rusty look over that.
All that is pretty much left are the small details, like glow effects, teeth, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment